Our regular meetings are held at 1:00 pm on the 2nd Saturday of the month (except June, July, and August).
Highlights of our next regular meeting:
- Date: Saturday, March 9, 2019, 1:00pm
- Location: Olivet College, 103 Mott Hall, Olivet MI.
- Program/Clinic: Terry Davis will lead us in Scratch Building with Wood. See more below.
- Show And Tell: None this month to allow time for the clinic.
- Layout Tour: Doc Flemining’s On3 scale Nehi Lumber & Mining Railroad. This will probably be the last time Doc will be able to host us at his layout.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THE MARCH GET TOGETHER FROM TERRY DAVIS:
For the March 9 make and take clinic, we will be constructing a small all-purpose shed. The hoped for outcomes will be a chance to try simulating rolled tarpaper roofing and to stain, paint and drybrush the model after construction. This clinic will (in the HO scale version ) introduce the concept of using a laminate of two 1/32 thick pieces of basswood for the walls. The parts for the walls will all be precut (I’m using a Cricut crafting machine) which I will bring and briefly demonstrate. Windows and doors will be preprimed, also. I did get a few emails and we did a hand raise of attendees at the last Div 5 meeting. I am planning based on that. If you said you were coming, and can’t, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can send out word that a “kit” is now available. I counted 13 hands at the meeting in Feb for HO scale and I have 15 sets available. I counted 4 N scale folks and one person emailed – so a total of 5 N scalers. The Div is asking $5.00 for the HO scalers and $3.00 from the N-scalers to cover materials.
I’m listing the tools I’d recommend you bring if you have them. I will have extras available, so don’t feel like you need to place a rush order for anything if you lack one or two (or even any) of the items listed below. I will provide ink/alcohol stain, dissecting needles for those adventurous HO scalers who want to add nail holes, and waxed paper to separate plans from the parts you are gluing.
- Xacto knife w new #11 blade (and a new chisel blade might be handy)
- Single edged razor blade
- White glue and gel ACC – I’ll have a bottle of canopy glue on hand if folks reach the point of adding glaze
- Fine jewelers forceps (tweezers)
- Weights – I use some old Minie bullets I have on hand, but bottles of craft paint will work
- Magnetic gluing jig, or a machinists square – ie – stuff to make the corners square
- Craft paint – dark grey or black, several earth tones, base wall color – white or off white or red?
- Paint brushes – especially one for doing dry brushing
- Cutting board or chopper
- Fine sandpaper
- Scale rule
- Small file
- Scissors for cutting up the plans
We will be meeting in the same room and building as we normally do at Olivet College, 103 Mott Hall. Enter through the north door of Mott. I believe it is the 2nd or 3rd door on the left. Doc Fleming will have his On3 layout open. If anyone has not seen Doc’s work – it is a must see.
Editor’s note: For your GPS, 227 College St. should get you there. It is the corner of College St. and East St.
|Remaining regular meeting dates for 2019 are:
||Regular meeting dates for 2020 are: